September 8, 2014

DIY Fall (Door) Decoration

While I was out in the yard this past weekend mowing and weeding, I came across several large bushes that contained these pinkish red berries. I have no idea what this is, but I decided the shape of the leaf and the color of the berries would make a nice front door swag. I grabbed my clippers and my ball of twine and started to construct a layered door swaglong and narrow towards the bottom, wider and denser towards the top. I just clipped and gathered. Knowing I had to go get my clear door hanger from the basement, I quickly stuck my swag in my iron flower box. Then I looked at it and liked what I saw. It's a bit unconventional as I usually have pots of flowers sitting in there, but I've decided it's staying put. I will gather up more branches to make one for the front door later today.

I honestly don't have any idea if this is going to dry well or simply shrivel up and die. (I'll certainly let you know.) That's the beauty of using what you find outdoors and enjoying it, even if it's just for a little while.

2 comments:

Kristen516 said...

I'm not sure either but it's pretty. Hope you had a great summer

Kimberly Merritt said...

Thanks, Kristen. I'm hoping someone will let me know what it is, but for now it is that--pretty. Happy fall!